Here is a brief overview of the process:
- Identify the property owned by the decedent.
- Determine who is legally entitled to inherit the estate, whether the decedent left a will or died without one.
- File the petition for probate and obtain “Letters” from the court that will enable the executor (or administrator) to take control of the assets.
- Marshall the financial accounts into an estate account.
- Appraise assets.
- File a Final Report with the court and request an Order For Distribution.